Part II – Latin & Mediterranean Grocery Shops
Where can I purchase Serrano ham? Which supermarket sells fresh Burrata? Do you know where I can find green tomatoes? Can you find chili peppers in Munich?
These and many other questions in regards to finding ingredients for your home cooked meals have come up time and time again. In this 4 part post series, we aim to provide you with a list of our top Specialty Grocers in Munich.
Next up, our top picks for Italian, Latin American, Mediterranean, Portuguese & Spanish grocery shops.
After speaking with several members of the Expat community, as well as, through our own experiences, we can recommend these shops due to their convenient location, wide variety of products and ease of navigating the aisles!
Latin & Latin American
- Mercado Latino – a little “feinkost” shop located in Viktualienmarkt, where you can shop products from Italy, Spain, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico, Peru and Colombia.
- Mercado de Mexico – located in Neuhausen, this small shop has an unbelievable array of Mexican products: from white/corn tortillas, canned green tomatoes, dried chili peppers (poblanos, de arból, etc.), frozen guacamole, to Mexican beer and tequila. They even have a few products from Peru (maiz morado/purple corn), Argentina (chimichurri) & Colombia (flour P.A.N.).
- Feinkost Spina – this 30 year old importer of specialty foods from Italy has aisles full of pasta, sauces, oil, vinegar & wine. The frozen section has a large selection of fish and seafood, but best of all is their fresh pasta, cheese & traditional style Cannoli. There´s even an espresso bar for a small coffee break.
- Eataly – a famous large Italian supermarket chain that has locations in Munich and around the world. One can easily spend hours in this store shopping, sampling and drinking!
- Mitte Meer – conveniently located behind the Ostbahnhof, this large shop sells products from Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain and France. If you come by car, there is a free parking area. They have 4 other locations in Berlin.
Tip: Fresh fish can be bought here on Mondays – Saturdays from 9:00 till 19:00 at their Fresh Fish Counter. They can take orders for other varieties of fish not normally sold at the counter.
- Donosti Spanien Shop – the owner prides himself in importing only the highest quality products from Spain. The Serrano ham is first-rate and you can even buy the typical Serrano ham sandwich on baguette.
- Lupper Virktualenmarkt – excellent little shop, also located in the Viktualienmarkt, with a remarkable selection of Jamon Iberico and Chorizos.
Tip: Right next door is a fantastic specialty cheese shop, with a large assortment of cheese from around the world!
Tell us what some of your favorite International Grocers are in Munich.