Our Top Rated Supermarkets in Munich for Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Vegan, Paleo & Other Special Dietary Needs
Today, many grocery stores, large chain supermarkets and even drug stores in Munich are starting to offer more products that cater to those with special dietary needs.
What do we mean by special diets?
There are many that suffer from food allergies, food intolerances, or follow a Vegan or Paleo diet.
However, the problem I often run into, is that most supermarkets in Munich offer only a limited selection of these types of products. Therefore, I must make another trip (or two) to a different store in order to get the remaining products on my grocery list. A very time consuming task.
It would be helpful to find a “one stop shop” supermarket in Munich that carries a wide variety of products dedicated to my needs.
Luckily, there are a few!
Top Bio Supermarkets in Munich for Special Dietary Needs:
- Basic Bio Supermarkt – In my opinion, this store has the best selection of special diet products, wide range of fruits, veggies, and meats. They also carry a large assortment of natural beauty products as well as household cleaning products. With a café in the interior, this is literally the best one stop shop for me in Munich.
- VollCorner Biomarkt – Also great for special dietary needs with a wider range of products, but most stores are smaller so not as much variety of fresh foods such as meats and veggies compared to the Basic. However, there are several locations which make it super convenient.
- Alnatura – This chain carries a lot of it’s own brand of products, leaving less shelf space for others. If you don’t have an Alnatura shop nearby, one can always find some of their products in DM, Edeka, HIT, and Rossmann.
- Denns Biomarkt – I frequent this chain less regularly as I find it lacks the variety of products. Especially gluten free products, compared to the other chains. But works in a pinch.
- Hermannsdorfer – This farm follows traditional forms of agriculture that promotes life in the soil. Herrmannsdorf is the center of a network of over 100 ecological partner farmers in the region. Herrmannsdorf takes on the processing of organically produced fruits, vegetables and animals. Additionally, they have their own bakery, cheese-making and brewery. Their farm can also be visited.
What are your experiences in regards to shopping for special dietary products in Munich?