Feeling lonely? Join like-minded Expats in Munich. You´ll be surprised how many international and expat clubs there are!
One of the downsides of moving to a new city/country is how lonely it can feel. Especially, for those of us that are shy and introverted. Exposing yourself to new people can seem overwhelming. I’m not going to lie to you, it’s not easy and it does take a bit of work.
It’s a bit like dating!
You will have to go through the small talk and maybe some awkward get-togethers. But we all need to feel connected and it is worth investing some time and effort. The day will come when ‘sparks fly’ and that connection eventually turns into friendship. Those friendships will feed your soul and will lift your spirits when you are down. And…
… if you are adapting to a new country, job, language, culture… believe me… you will need all the support you can get.
My Early Days
As a matter of fact, I met many of my good friends through an an expat club called International Women’s Club in Munich. I joined their hiking trips, museum tours, cooking events and even participated in German conversation groups to improve my German skills. I also volunteered on committees and attended charity events, as a way to give back to the community. It has been an incredibly enriching experience meeting women from all around the globe. The greatest gift of all was finding those tight knit friendships that I count on to this day.
Find Your Tribe
Luckily, there is an international or expat club for just about every interest you can think of: Arts, Theater, Music, Business, Religious, Social, Sports, Moms and Women’s clubs where you are bound to find your Tribe! Here are a few listed below.
Expat clubs by category:
Arts & Theater
- Entity Theatre
- German American Choral Society
- German French Choir in Munich
- English-Speaking Music Ensembles e.V.
- The American Drama Group Europe
- Munich Toastmasters
- Anglo – Bavarian Club, Munich e. V.
- Deutsch-Kanadische Gesellschaft e.V.
- German Australian Business Council e.V
- Internations – great community – worth the membership
- Toy Town Germany – find events here
- Meetup – find hundreds of events or create your own
- Rotary Club Munich International
- International Friends Munich
- Four Elements – Organized hikes, snowshoeing & yes!… llamas!
- Munich International Ski Club
- Parallel Skiing – Organized trips / Learn to Ski
- Munich Irish Rovers FC – The only English-speaking Soccer Club in Munich with Men’s & Women’s Teams
- Disciples München-Haar e.V. Men’s & Women’s Baseball/Softball
- Munich International Women´s Club
- LIA Munich
- Association of American University & Professional Women
- German American Women´s Club
- Professional Women’s Network
Don’t forget to attend the yearly Expat in the City Fair, which is usually held at the BMW Welt. This particular event caters to the Expat community in Munich and it is definitely worth a visit. One of the many highlights of the fair is discovering the variety of international and expat clubs there are.
If you have not found an expat club that peaks your interest, then you can also create your own. It´s that simple!
Interview with Outdoor Adventurer Ceri Temple
10 podcasts you should be listening to if you are an expat in Germany
Growing Up Bilingual I Thought Learning German Would Be Easier