Do you want kissable fresh breath?
How to make your very own long-lasting minty mouthwash without the harsh chemicals.
I read about a very effective, natural DIY mouthwash and I knew the time had come. I thought what better way to maintain my family´s dental health as well as eliminate one more plastic packaging from ending up on our shoreline, than making my own. Here´s the research I found:
What you will need:
1 cup of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (no more than 3%)
1 ½ cup Water (when it boils, some of that water dissipates)
10 cloves (optional, but cloves contain eugenol, a powerful anesthetic & antiseptic that relieves pain & eliminates germs)
5 drops Lemon essential oil (optional)
10 drops Peppermint essential oil
- Heat the water with the 10 cloves. Boil 5 minutes, set aside and let cool. When cool, remove the cloves.
- In a glass jar combine equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Add the essential oils & cloves.
- Close the lid and shake well before using.
- Take a small sip, swish & gargle for 30 seconds, spit out and then rinse mouth with water.
- Best to refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, but I keep mine in a dark corner on the bathroom counter.
- Ensure you dilute the Hydrogen Peroxide with water.
- Purchase no stronger than 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, anything stronger is not recommended.
- Make small batches.
- Use dark glass jars and store in a dark, cool area to maintain shelf life and efficacy.
- Use essential oils found at well known distributors
Living in Germany, I find certain ingredients difficult to find and expensive compared to the States. There are a few shops in Munich that seem to have high quality products, including the bio shops and reform houses. Otherwise, I order online on Amazon.
Do you have your own mouthwash recipe? We would love to hear about it.